My mother and I baked these beautiful peppermint meringues for our holiday festivities. First of all, they were extremely simple and easy to make. Secondly, they were delicious and beautiful.
I figured I would share the recipe in case any of you are looking for that last minute holiday dessert.
[20 minute prep time, 90 minute cook time, ready in 5 hours]
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Line 2 cookie sheets with foil.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Drop by spoonfuls 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy over the top of the cookies.
- Bak for 90 minutes in preheated oven. Meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown. Turn oven off and keep door ajar to let the meringues cool. Lossen them from the foil with a metal spatula and sore loosely in a cool or dry place. The meringues will keep for up to 2 months.
Enjoy and happy holidays!